Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 2016 09:00:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Jim Ohlstein <jim@ohlste.in>
Subject:   Re: Removing documentation

On Tue, 9 Feb 2016, Jim Ohlstein wrote:

> The build time of "like 20-30 minutes, at most" is ummm... let' just call it
> optimistic. I only needed five new dependencies. Poudriere was unable to take
> advantage of more than two parallel builders except for a rather short
> overlap where it used three, if I recall correctly. The vast majority of the
> time it used only one builder. Build and package time for gcc6-aux was 34:52
> on an Intel E5-2650 v3. Build and package time for binutils, required for
> gcc6-aux, took 4:44. That's pretty close to 40 minutes for just two
> dependencies, one of which is a dependency of the other. Build and package
> time for synth was 1:09.

2:20, that's two hours and twenty minutes, to build and install here on
an Atom N270 system.  2:06 for gcc6-aux, most of the rest for ncurses.
That does not include distfile download time.  Disk space used was 252M,
again not counting the distfiles.  For x86, the Atom is nearly
worst-case, but I suspect the speed is similar to some of the ARM
systems.

I tried to build it last night on a fast i7 system for comparison, but
gcc6-aux had a build error at the very start.