Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 10:16:53 -0600 (CST)
From:      ptroot@uswest.com (Paul T. Root)
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sync on halt, xdm config and CDROM question

Hi,
	I've got a few things. First good news.

	A month or so ago, I wrote in with a problem of sync failing
on halt or reboot. Sometimes it would say that a process wouldn't die.
Well, investigation showed that to be apache (0.85), killing it before
halting and everything works fine. I haven't had time to try 1.0, but
will soon.

	Now, my questions.

	1) My next problem was getting xdm to let me log in without
the account having a password (home machine, not a security risk).
Anyway, I got mail back from an XFree86 guy saying xdm in 3.1.2a and
3.1.2b has a resource "AllowNullPasswd", but he doesn't say how to
use it or where to put it.

	I started by putting in Xresources (in /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm)
as xdm*AllowNullPasswd:	true. Then as xlogin*... then as just AllowNullPasswd
but nothing worked. Where do I put it?

	And is that the right version of XFree86? It appears to be. I
looked on XFree86's home page and found an update to xdm, I'll try that
but, haven't been on the machine yet.

	2) Looking through ads, I'm seeing 4x CD-ROM drives for SoundBlasters
and such for less than $150. Which is getting rather attractive. Currently,
I have a single speed SCSI CD-ROM and a SoundBlaster 16 with a CD-ROM port
(empty, of course). The manual says that the IDE CD-ROM's are slower than
the SCSI, but I got thing that 4x IDE would be faster that 1x SCSI.

	Opinions?

Thanks,
	Paul.

--
Paul T. Root - USWEST !NTERPRISE Networking Service	ptroot@uswest.com

There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about,
and that is not being talked about.        Oscar Wilde