Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 2003 15:25:25 -0800
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
To:        Claus Guttesen <cguttesen@yahoo.dk>
Cc:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installation on hp rx2600

On Sat, Dec 13, 2003 at 12:08:12AM +0100, Claus Guttesen wrote:
> Hi.
>
> > have a SCSI CD, a
> > USB CD or whatever, it's still usable.
> >
> > Note: A network install should work. I do not know
> > what exactly
> > could be your problem. I'll try it out ASAP.
>
> I tried to perform a networked installation when I
> found out the CD-drive wasn't recognized (after the
> install-program was started).
>
> But I couldn't see what interface it tried to bring
> up. So after some trial and error I went straight to
> the post-installation-part and assigned an ip-address
> which gave me this error (after asking "Would you like
> to bring the bge0 interface up right now?"):
>
> pid 54 (ifconfig): unaligned access:
> va=0x600000000005f046, pc=0x400000000034f940

The misalignment is a bit unexpected, but should not be a cause
for problems unless the unalignment access could not be handled
by the kernel. In that case ifconfig will dump core.

> This was done using the ATA-CD-drive. Since I'm able
> to boot on it, I figured I could goes as far as
> getting to the networked install.

Yes. You should not go to post-install before installing though.
Just select the install medium when given the opportunity and
follow the screens.