Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 19:33:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@zone.syracuse.net>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Studded <Studded@gorean.org>, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sh and ~ expansion

Okay, I'll try and answer as many of those as possible in one shot:
License: Public Domain (hence PDKSH). VERY BSD-friendly! :)
Compatibility with /bin/sh: hasn't broken one single script
size of binary (static ELF):
 302081   10088   36588  348757   55255 /bin/sh
 283681    5496   37692  326869   4fcd5 /bin/ksh
bmakeability: pdksh uses autoconf but its Makefile is bmake-compatible
Image size:
green    753  0.0  0.4   500  284  p2  Ss+   7:31PM   0:00.03 ksh
green    756  0.5  0.5   600  356  p3  Ss+   7:31PM   0:00.04 sh
Standards: /bin/sh is Bourne, with a few Korn features, pdksh has just
about every Korn feature, and Korn shells by definition are
backward-compatible with Bourne shells.

That should be about all I can think of now. From a user perspective,
pdksh has a better vi mode and tab-completion, so is a better interactive
shell.

Cheers,
Brian Feldman