Date:      Fri, 31 Mar 1995 01:10:02 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sneezy.sri.com>
To:        CVS-commiters@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Announce: New Version of CVS ( was Re: cvs commit: src/gnu/usr.bin Makefile)

> nate        95/03/31 00:00:07
>
>   Modified:    gnu/usr.bin Makefile
>   Log:
>   Temporarily disable building CVS to avoid anyone hosing up their CVS
>   tree until a bit more testing is done.
>
>   Submitted by:	rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com "Rod Grimes"

Rod asked me to disable the build of CVS until we test the bits a bit
more, but it does compile and my testing have been positive.  If you
want to risk it go ahead and build/install it.

However, since CVS is critical to many folks, he felt it would be unsafe
to have folks use the new binary until it was beat on a bit more.

On that note, J.T. Conklin has done alot of work in making this version
of CVS *much* faster on 4.4BSD derived systems.  Also, he has made some
additional speedups that I will be putting in CVS after 2.1 which speed
it up even more.  Since CVS is such a big bottleneck for all of our
operations, I felt getting a faster version of CVS certainly couldn't
hurt.

If you can, please test this out on your machines.  I don't forsee any
problems whatsoever, but it's better to be safe than sorry.  I'd like to
see freefall get updated binaries in the next couple weeks.

Nate