Date:      21 Jan 1997 15:43:12 -0000
From:      "M.C Wong" <mcwong@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   [2.1R] Help needed to get JDK working with lesstif 0.75a lib!

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get *all* the java utilities with the JDK
to work ? For example, appletviewer and java need libXm and since
*not* many of us actually have Motif lib, I tried lesstif 0.75a lib
but did not work and get the following errors:

lespoir:/local/jdk/lib/i386 208 > appletviewer
Undefined symbol "_objectClassRec" in java:/usr/local/jdk/lib/i386/libXm.so.1.2
(/usr/local/jdk/lib/i386/libawt.so)
Undefined symbol "_objectClassRec" in java:/usr/local/jdk/lib/i386/libXm.so.1.2
(/local/jdk/bin/../lib/i386/libawt.so)
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: no awt in shared library path
        at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary(Runtime.java)
        at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java)
        at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.<clinit>(MToolkit.java:37)
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:191)
        at sun.applet.AppletCopyright.<init>(AppletCopyright.java:33)
        at sun.applet.AppletViewer.mainInit(AppletViewer.java:861)
        at sun.applet.AppletViewer.main(AppletViewer.java:870)
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: init
        at sun.awt.motif.MToolkit.<init>(MToolkit.java:41)
        at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:191)
        at sun.applet.AppletCopyright.<init>(AppletCopyright.java:33)
        at sun.applet.AppletViewer.mainInit(AppletViewer.java:861)
        at sun.applet.AppletViewer.main(AppletViewer.java:870)

Well, this is sort of expected since lesstif 0.75a lib is actually
numbered as libXm.so.0.0 and which ever Xm version it really corresponds to is
unknown to me and I merely try to rename it to the
required version by program, ie to 1.2.

So, does anyone know if a versio of Motif-like lib apart from lesstif
out there does work with the JDK ?

Oh, also, I also tried to use lesstif libXm.so.0.0 with Xemacs (which
requires libXm.so.2.0), however got the following errors:

lespoir:/usr/X11R6/lib 198 > xemacs
ld.so: warning: libutil.so.2.0: minor version < 1 expected, using it anyway
Error: No ExtNode to pop!

Note that all the packages tried (JDK, xemacs, lesstif etc) are ftp'ed
via packages/ports from ftp.freebsd.org with  the right patches etc
applied.

Thanks in advance.