Date:      Sat, 31 Mar 2001 14:30:36 -0600
From:      "Alan L. Cox" <alc@imimic.com>
To:        Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: do we care about performance yet?

>    bzero                                    92338   6.5   2.6
>    bcopy_samealign_lp                       71123   5.0   2.0

I built a kernel last year using Compaq's implementation of these
routines.  A lot can be gained by using 21264-optimized
implementations.  (Unfortunately, the code I was given by Compaq was
under NDA.)  Alpha Processor (now API Networks) has, however, released
optimized implementations for Linux.  There are patches on their web
site.  Having talked to one hybrid business/technical person there, I
doubt that they would balk at dual-licensing these patches under a BSD
and GPL license.

Alan