Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 1996 11:38:15 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <smp@csn.net>
To:        Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley216.res.iastate.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make -j? questions..

Hi,

> First of all, I remember seeing here recently that there were some problems,
> and I was wondering if they were fixed.  Also, I know sometimes that it would
> fail almost at random, if you have -j set higher.  It almost seemed as if there
> was some sort of dependancy issue that was ignored by the parallelism.  Is
> this still the case?

that was me.  the problem is make clean removes "?".
(can't remember what "?" is, to find it do "make clean;make -j4", my
machine is wedged at the moment...)

make depend builds "?"
make builds "?", but a different verson than "make depend"!!!
something about what files are around when "?" is built.

I think the solution is to make "make" realize that it needs to "make depend"
before anything else if ".depend" doesn't exist

---
> It would be nice if the -j option was suitable for make worlds and such. :)

so as long as you do a "make depend" between any "make clean" and "make"
you are OK

--
Steve Passe	| powered by
smp@csn.net	|            FreeBSD