Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 21:37:05 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NO_X in /etc/defaults/make.conf

> Hi,
> in /etc/defaults/make.conf there is an option "NO_X". Do I want or
> need this, if I'm using the ports version of XFree 4.03 ? Would it
> destroy anything, if set to TRUE ?
> BTW, I already have XFREE86_VERSION=4 in /etc/make.conf .
                                                     ^
                                                     ^
                                                     ^
                                                     ^
Me too!                                         ^

I seem to understand that the NO_X option is used for removing X support from those
ported programs which can function without X.

I have always installed X  -- most of my software, actually -- via the ports
mechanism. <disclaimer> I am not aware of any potential problems which might arise
when X is installed otherwise </disclaimer>. I appear to understand <answer
type="tentative"> that some ports look for installed libraries & suchlike. Thus the
installation method (ports or packages) should be immaterial. </answer>

On my bloat^H^H^H^Hworkstation I want X, so... BTW, after setting
XFREE86_VERSION=4 in /etc/make.conf, I was able to seamlessly compile the
build-wise & resource-wise dreadful KDE2. Well, I perused a number of posts in the
archives, in particular yours :-)

On my 4.3 RC system (as of about one week ago), KDE2's antialiasing setting just
doesn't  work with TrueType fonts. Uncheking it in the KDE2 erm "control center"
seems to produce acceptable results -- and QT_XFT IS 0 in the latter case.

I was wondering whether I had missed something or whether these were simply the
best results I could get out of KDE2 & XFree86-4. Sorry for replying with... another
question :-)

TIA,
Salvo