Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 21:17:27 +0100
From:      Ian Vaudrey <i.vaudrey@cableinet.co.uk>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        jfitz@freebsd.org
Subject:   makedepend port - opinions sought

I have ported the version of makedepend that is included with the Cyrus
IMAP server distribution. The reason for doing this, even though
makedepend is part of the X distribution, is that the Cyrus port will
not build if makedepend is not present and I didn't want to have to
install X just for that. I presume I'm not alone here, and that's why
CMU include the makedepend source in the Cyrus tarball.

Before I submit the port, I'd like opinions on it's usefulness outside
the context of Cyrus. At the moment the port fetches the Cyrus tarball
which weighs in at ~460K. This is not a problem if it's only ever going
to be used to build Cyrus because the tarball will still only be fetched
once, but if it does have more general application it would obviously
make sense to separate out the makedepend sources. These total a rather
more lightweight ~30K when tarred and gzipped.

So, are there - or are there likely to be - any other ports that do not
require X to run but need makedepend to build? Your thoughts would be
appreciated.

The port is at
<http://wkweb1.cableinet.co.uk/i.vaudrey/makedepend/makedepend.tgz>; if
anyone wants to take a look at it.