Date:      Wed, 15 Dec 1999 16:37:33 +1300 (NZDT)
From:      Juha Saarinen <juha@saarinen.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Not such good networking performance with FreeBSD

> See if there are any errors in the switch on the port that FreeBSD is
> attached to.  I seem to recall reading some issues about this particular
> card.  You might try explicitly forcing the duplex to either half or full
> and seeing how that effects performance. The main thing is for the card and
> switch to agree on the settings. Dont trust auto-neg, as most of the times
> I have found it not to work properly. You should be able to tell by just
> doing some transfers from one machine to another on your LAN.

Unfortunately, it's an unmanaged switch, so I can't get anything useful
out of it like port stats and diags.

I get full speed ftp transfers (~1MBps, the switch has only one 100Mbps
port, the rest are 10Mbps) at the moment, but will try the FD thing as
well.

I was just trying to figure out how to explicitly force the card into
full-duplex... ifconfig ??

> Yes. If the box is going to act as a router.

Ahh.. thanks. I'm using the box as a caching http proxy, email, ftp, Web,
ssh etc. server, but I suppose as it only has the one network interface,
it isn't doing much routing at the moment.

> You should not have to change any of those values. The default should give
> you performance adequate to saturate a 10BaseT LAN given minimal sufficient
> hardware.

I'm in New Zealand, and much of this country's Internet connectivity comes
via satellite. RTTs to hosts outside NZ range from 200ms if I'm lucky, to
350ms and higher typically. I've found that increasing the TCP receive
buffers on Linux, WinNT and Win98 make a huge difference in this
situation.

Cheers,

-- Juha