Date:      Fri, 19 Sep 1997 22:14:31 -0500
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FYI: regarding our rfork(2)

On Sep 09, 1997 at 10:10:13PM +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
> 	This is an unsatisfying soloution, mostly because kernel
> 	threads block on blocking calls from user threads.  This
> 	means that I can only ever have N blocking calls outstanding,
> 	and a total of (M-N) threads, which are ready to run will
> 	not get quantum, regardless of the scheduling class used.

What about other kernel/user thread implementations?  Eg: scheduler
activations, as put forth by Anderson, et.al.  From what they describe,
there is no limit to the number of blocking calls a user-level process
can make.  Unfortunately, I feel that they have glossed over some of the
implementation details in their paper, making it difficult to evaluate.
--
Jonathan