Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 11:27:44 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        TD790@aol.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 64-bit PCI mobos

> > >Have you tried to run them with 180watt power supplies? Or in a humid
> >  >environment? The problems are well-known and have nothing to do with
> >  >"luck".
> >  >At least they admit it...they took back about 70 MBs from us without
>boxes
> >  >or
> >  >accessories.
> >
> >  Can you really blame a motherboard when the system is using such a
>minimal
> >  power supply? Extremely low wattage power supplies are often made with
>lower
> >
> >  quality parts as well, as what reason is there to get such a wimpy PS
>other
> >  than price?
> >  If the Tyan boards malfunctioned in humid conditions whereas other
>boards
> >  worked well, that is certainly not forgivable (though none of the Tyan
> >  boards that I have used have had such problems).
> >

>The 810/815 chipset specs should require less 150watts with a single IDE
>drive, as ALL other MBs of similar design function well. Most 1U systems
>have
>such "wimpy" power supplies (150 is common), so I guess your "world" is
>different than mine. I have to remember what list this is after all :-)

Not feeling very amicable today?

Err, wouldn't the overall power req be more dependant on the CPU grade &
transistor size, power usage of

>We already, in this thread, have 2 noted "flaws" in MBs from a single
>company
>(not random occurances, but known and similar design problems), yet you'll
>argue (with no technical understanding of the subject) that there are no
>problems because you  havent experienced them. Why?

You might want to read the post before criticizing it. Note that I simply
pointed out nonchalantly that I had personally had no such problems, and did
not use that as a case against the flaws that may be present in certain Tyan
boards. You might also notice that even without that comment I made no case
against the two flaws, rather I stated that 150W PSs were a bit on the
minimal side and that if the Tyan boards do malfunction in humid conditions
that such a flaw would certainly be substantial.
In general, it is not good netiquette to be condescending without
provocation, but I did not the '@aol.com' attached to the email address, so
I will not take it personally.
Anyway, you might also notice that there was nothing mentioned about the
systems being in 1U chassis. Most *U chassis are generally servers anyway
and I rarely see a PS of less than 200-240W even in 1U...note that I did not
say that it there are no such 1U power supplies..., and the fact that *U
chassis are generally servers (as most desktop systems are not
rack-mounted). It is uncommon to see an i810 or i815 system being used as a
servers because the chipsets are definitely not designed as such, the i810
being a low end consumer-grade chipset and the i815 not even being able to
use more than 2 PC133 modules without going outside the specs. (It also has
some problems using USB mice in certain situations).

Anyway, not that all that is out of the way... Some Tyan boards might have
the problems mentioned, and Tyan is generally not my first choice, but name
one company that consistantly turns out flawless boards. Not Supermicro, not
Asus, not Tyan, not Intel. No manufacturer of motherboards (at least, not PC
motherboards) that I know of has such a track record.
One note about the Tyan board's instability with tiny power supplies: A
certain rating of power supply (say, 150W) does not mean that the PS can
actually output 150W. It can /theoretically/ output 150W. One measure of a
good power supply is how close the actual stable output is compared to the
rated output. Some 250W power supplies can supply more actual power than
many cheap 400W power supplies. For an example of thise, take a look at
Anandtech's power supply review from Jan 17th of 2000. While the specs for a
system with X components may require a 150W PS, those specs might be
assuming a power supply that is well made. Of course, if the Tyan boards
didn't work well while other boards did, clearly it is the Tyan board (if
that is the only component that changed), but a larger power supply would
likely have solved the problem and been much easier to switch out than a
motherboard.
Note also that instability of those particular boards cannot be assumed to
exist for all Tyan boards (if in fact, that is what you were doing--I am not
sure) as any problem consistant across an entire brand of boards would
certainly be large news in the hardware community, especially from a server
board manufacturer that used to build boards for Sun servers.

Sorry for the long-winded post, just wanted to cover all the bases.
Additionally, if my original post offended you in some way, that was not the
intent.

Charles Burns