Date:      Tue, 2 Mar 1999 19:39:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Alex Zepeda <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To:        Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.physics.montana.edu>
Cc:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bsd vs. linux and NT chart

On Tue, 2 Mar 1999, Brett Taylor wrote:

> What the hell do you need a response for?!

To make sure you're not duplicating or otherwise clobbering someone else's
work.  An absent response is not a good thing, warm fuzzies are always
nice if someone is expected/going to go out of their way to maintain
something.  Just ask the Qt port maintainer ;)

> And there you go - you're a port maintainer.  If this is that difficult to
> comprehend you shouldn't be maintaining ports anyway.  Better yet, go
> through the tree and find ports that don't have a maintainer and make
> yourself its caretaker.  There are plenty that don't have one (they'll
> have MAINTAINER=  ports@freebsd.org).

Ah, and I was beginning to wonder why I see so many "FreeBSD and MacOS
users are more elitest than any other group of people" rants on /. .

> We DID eliminate the need to do both.  FreeBSD is now ELF - deal w/ it.
> If you don't think 3.1 is stable then deal w/ the fact that new ports are
> not going to be available to you.

Yes, but you've still got 2.2.x out there.  Keep in mind 2.2.8 is newer
than 3.0, and there's likely quite a few people who are still using 2.2.x.
Perhaps by 3.2 not supporting 2.2-STABLE will be completely worth while.

> > Again, you're not being creatve or innovative here. Again, why not
> > just adapt the Linux emulator to bring in FreeBSD ELFs?

And then you roll the 3.0 kernel with all its new syscalls and soforth
into a 2.2.x kernel.  Not a good idea.

> Finally, it'd be nice if you showed some maturity and stopped whining
> about the GPL constantly.

> I'm done w/ this as I might as well be talking to a fence post.

That can be arranged, and it comes with a complimentary straight jacket.

- alex