Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 1998 09:48:10 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        M S Anam <shuman@annexgrp.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Porting targets (was: os type)

On Mon, Jan 26, 1998 at 07:28:16PM +0600, M S Anam wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What would be the preferred list of OS in compiling/setting up something
> which does not have FreeBSD as an option?
>
> e.g. Pine, it has option for BSD, BSDi, NetBSD. Which one would I pick?

Well, if you want to port pine, do:

  # cd /usr/ports/mail/pine
  # make install

To answer your question, though:

If you have the choice BSD, BSDI (I don't think anybody calls it BSDi)
and NetBSD, you can probably assume that 'BSD' is less specific, and
thus possibly older (4.2BSD or 4.3BSD, depending on the package).
BSDI is usually closer to FreeBSD than NetBSD is, so I'd try that
first.  Of course, you can always run into minor problems in any of
the three, and even for FreeBSD if it was developed for a different
version.

Greg