Date:      Fri, 5 Dec 1997 20:04:13 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu, toasty@home.dragondata.com, nate@mt.sri.com, jak@cetlink.net, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

> The second thing I think we need to consider is that in the longer
> term, I can easily see a day where the ports and packages collection
> have grown to the point where decoupling them from the primary FreeBSD
> releases becomes essential in order that the "base system" remain
> reasonably priced.  This would also allow the ports collection to move
> at its own release schedule, perhaps doing only 2 - 3 releases a year
> and published in a format closer to Rich Morin's well known Prime Time
> Freeware for UNIX CDs (http://www.ptf.com/ptf/products/UNIX). They
> come with a nifty printed book containing alphabetized short
> descriptions so you can look something up quickly before wasting your
> time mounting the wrong CD, and I think the ports & packages
> collection should do exactly the same thing.

I like this.  I think that there should be coordination with the
OpenBSD and NetBSD folks to make sure they are usable "out of the box"
for them as well.  It could become simply "The BSD ports collection".

You may want to coordinate with BSDI, if at all possible...

This should probably wait for ELF, though, since all the other BSD's
are ELF now...

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---