Date:      Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:05:13 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Detecting mail client capabilities

Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za> types:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm embarrassed to ask this, but the folks I'm doing some work for
> insist that it's possible, so here goes...
>
> Is there teechnology available that allows one to determine what the
> rendering capabilities of a customers e-mail client are without the
> customer having explicitly sent one mail from that client?

No. There isn't even a technology that allows you to determine those
capabilities with having explicit mail. Many people read mail with
more than one mail reader, so you can't rely on them reading the mail
using the same agent they sent the mail with the first time.

> My employer's confirmation process for their opt-in mailing list
> requires the customer to click on a web URL within their mail message.
> When they hit that URL, confirmation is registered.

As Alex suggested, you can sniff the browser in the HTTP
transaction. For a lot of people, that will tell you what their mail
reader can do. On the other hand, it'll be wrong for some of them.

> Please don't flame me too much.  In my mind, this is impossible, but I
> did undertake to confirm my suspicions.  As I said, my employer insists
> that this is possible, mostly because the company that handled their
> mass-mailing for them before told them that this was part of the service
> they were paying for.

If you could be more explicit about this, it would help. Exactly what
did the mass-mailing service provide? Given the ethics involved in the
mass-mailing industry, I'd be interested in why you trusted any
information from them.

	<mike