Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 11:32:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Joe Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        Chester Lew Chean Wei <cwlew@mmu.edu.my>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001, Chester Lew Chean Wei wrote:

> Hi,
>      Dear Sir/madam,
>
> 	Moring to you, I have some problem over FreeBSD, hope you can
> help. The problem are I have linux RedHat 6.2 install to my PC as
> a OS, my UNIVERSITY (Multi-Media University Malaysia) wants to
> install FreeBSD 4.2 and have the PC as Dual-boot, I follow the
> installation guide on www.freeBSD.org, first I use Partition
> Magic to free up some space from my Linux, so it was called
> "Unused". After that i try to install FreeBSD with a "standard
> Installation", but when i come to chose or slide the disk space,
> the free space cannot been see or detect, so i was not able to
> install FreeBSD.
>
>         There is some question that i would like to ask;
>
> 1) Can i have Red Hat Linux 6.2 as my first OS and install
> FreeBSD and make it "dual-boot" enable?

Yes, there are pages in the handbook that tell you how to do this.

http://www.ssc.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/mini/Linux+FreeBSD.html

> 2) Can i run a network installation?

Sure!  FreeBSD supports FTP and NFS installations.  I've used both, and
they work quite well.  Since I don't always have access to install CDs, I
use the FTP install a lot.  Again, see the handbook off of freebsd.org for
more on installation tasks.

Joe