Date:      Mon, 7 Aug 2006 17:40:23 +0100
From:      RW <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using pre-built packages with portmanager

On Monday 07 August 2006 16:12, cpghost wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 07, 2006 at 04:03:00PM +0100, RW wrote:

> > A key design feature of portmanager is that everything is built with
> > up-to-date dependencies, having this kind of feature would, in general,
> > defeat that.
>
> Why would that? The port trees themselves are synchronized; just the
> set of installed ports ain't. The packages generated on the different
> machines are absolutely identical AFAICS; including their dependencies.
> There's no point in recompiling them separately if the result is the
> same on all machines. That's why I'd like to reuse the newly created
> packages.

But it would be very complicated for portmanager to determine whether a
package file meets it's exacting standards for "up-to-date", especially since
most people that would want to use such a feature, would want to get 6-stable
packages.

The developer always said that he wanted it to be a simple way of keeping a
system up-to-date from source, and not general purpose ports/package tool.
And AFAIK he's lost interest in it.

What you might do is compile your collection of packages, install them with
portupgrade and optionally run portmanager after to clean up any problems.