Date:      Tue, 15 Feb 2022 15:23:06 +0000
From:      Frank Leonhardt <freebsd-doc@fjl.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenSMTPd - is it time to move?

On 15/02/2022 11:52, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On 2/15/22 13:42, Frank Leonhardt wrote:
>
>> I wouldn't suggest moving sendmail from base, but I've noticed
>> OpenSMTPd is gaining popularity.
>>
>> I've invested 35 years in learning how to make sendmail work, so I
>> can cope with it's convoluted configuration; although every time I
>> need to make a change I still get twitchy. I've tried Exim and
>> Postfix at times, but always returned to the devil I knew best.
>>
>> What are people's real world experiences with OpenSMTPd for a low
>> volume MTA? It's not like we need UUCP or Mail-11 interoperability
>> any more.
>
> Interesting - I'll admit to never hearing about OpenSMTPd until now.
>
> I started out with Sendmail. Moved to Qmail. Moved to Exim. That was
> nearly 20 years ago.
>
> I am still with Exim, even for personal use on my laptop.

Yes, smtpd snuck up on me too. I tried Exim (and have it running in
various places) but I never figured out how to get it to play nice with
spamassassin and procmail - whereas sendmail already did. I just
remember switching from imapd/qpopper to dovecot ~15 years ago and
wondering why the hell I hadn't done it earlier.