Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 22:22:09 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        a brody <abrody@smart.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Where is Mac OS X in your ports page?

a brody wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD,
> Technically isn't Mac OS X a PowerPC port of FreeBSD?
> I would think it belongs here:

I think that if you check your sources, you'll find that OSX isn't quite
"a port of FreeBSD"
First off, it doesn't even use the FreeBSD kernel, it uses Mach (unless
I'm misinformed).
And while it has a lot of code from the FreeBSD project in it, it really
is its own animal. I think some of the more serious hackers on the
FreeBSD project (as well as some of those involved with Darwin) could
give you a plethora of technical reasons why OSX is not FreeBSD.

Mainly, however, would be that it's not supported and developed by the
FreeBSD project, so it really doesn't have any place on the web page.

-Bill