Date:      Wed, 22 Feb 1995 19:18:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        phk@ref.tfs.com (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        nate@trout.sri.MT.net, current@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: TRUE and FALSE

> > > "The only thing..."
> > >
> > > You are elected to release eng for 2.2 if you want to ... :-)
> >
> > chroot is your friend. ;)
>
> Yes, sure, but it's only a workaround.
> The fundamental problem is that the source-tree should be self-contained.
>
> Just think about the benefit of a "make world" which will not hose your
> c-compiler if the c-compiler source is sick...

Again.. serious .mk file munging use of what I called $TOOL_ROOT and
$EXPORT_ROOT solves this.  Kinda like the way osf/1 builds.

$TOOL_ROOT and $EXPORT_ROOT default to $DESTDIR, they are they for
seperated for doing cross compiling.  It means changing all the
things like ``MAKE= make'' to ``MAKE = ${TOOL_ROOT}/usr/bin/make''.

I just wish I had more time to go work on this again right now, but
it will have to wait, or someone else will have to do it.  If someone
else wants to start looking at doing this I can give you *lots* of
pointers.