Date:      Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:14:55 -0700 (MST)
From:      Steve Grandi <grandi@noao.edu>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   amd and /etc/hosts.allow

Ever since the "tcpwrapper enabled" tasks came into use in stable, I can't
get amd to work.  If I do something like
    cd /host/orion/u3
I am hung forever: no response at all to the keyboard.  Ps shows an amd
process stuck in D state.

If I reboot and remove /etc/hosts.allow, and then do the cd command, it
works fine.

So what am I DENYing in /etc/hosts.allow that I need to ALLOW?  Any hints in
tracking this down?

I'm running 3.2-STABLE cvsuped today.

Here is my /etc/hosts.allow:

#
# hosts.allow access control file for "tcp wrapped" apps.
# $Id: hosts.allow,v 1.2.2.2 1999/05/11 01:35:01 obrien Exp $
#
# NOTE: The hosts.deny file is not longer used.  Instead, put both 'allow'
#       and 'deny' rules in the hosts.allow file.
# see hosts_options(5) for the format of this file.
# hosts_access(5) no longer fully applies.

# This is an example! You will need to modify it for your specific
# requirements!

# Start by allowing everything (this prevents the rest of the file
# from working, so remove it when you need protection).
# The rules here work on a "First match wins" basis.
# ALL : ALL : allow

# Wrapping sshd(8) is not normally a good idea, but if you
# need to do it, here's how
#sshd : .evil.cracker.example.com : deny

# Prevent those with no reverse DNS from connecting.
#ALL : PARANOID : RFC931 20 : deny

# Allow anything from localhost and local networks
ALL: 127.0. : allow
ALL: 140.252. : allow
ALL : localhost : allow
ALL : noao.edu : allow
ALL : .noao.edu : allow

# Sendmail can help protect you against spammers and relay-rapers
#sendmail : localhost : allow
#sendmail : .nice.guy.example.com : allow
#sendmail : .evil.cracker.example.com : deny
sendmail : ALL : allow

# Portmapper is used for all RPC services; protect your NFS!
#portmap : localhost : allow
#portmap : .noao.edu : allow
#portmap : .evil.cracker.example.com : deny
portmap : ALL : allow

# Provide a small amount of protection for ftpd
#ftpd : localhost : allow
#ftpd : .nice.guy.example.com : allow
#ftpd : .evil.cracker.example.com : deny
ftpd : ALL : allow

# Block everything else
ALL : ALL : deny

# You need to be clever with finger; do _not_ backfinger!! You can easily
# start a "finger war".
#fingerd : ALL \
#       : spawn (echo Finger. | \
#        /usr/bin/mail -s "tcpd\: %u@%h[%a] fingered me!" root) & \
#       : deny

# The rest of the daemons are protected. Backfinger and log by email.
#ALL : ALL \
#       : severity auth.info : spawn (/usr/bin/finger -l @%h | \
#        /usr/bin/mail -s "tcpd\: %u@%h[%a] tried to use %d  (denied)" root) &
#       : twist /bin/echo "You are not welcome to use %d from %h."

Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories/AURA Inc., Tucson AZ USA
Internet: grandi@noao.edu  Voice: +1 520 318-8228