Date:      Sun, 17 Sep 1995 23:59:40 +0200
From:      Rob Simons <rob@Simplex.NL>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd acting up

| In message <Pine.BSF.3.91.950917160606.17397A-100000@aries.ai.net>, Network Coo
| rdinator writes:
| >> My guess is that is your problem. Unfortunately, I don't have time at
| >> the minute to track it down, but I've heard similar complaints from
| >> others about this, and I think that the proxyarp stuff is involved.
|
| >Well pppd doesn't die for us, and we aren't usign proxyarp.
|
| Ah. Oops. Sorry.
|
| I should have been clearer:
|
| I believe that the proxyarp flag causes the pppd to go beserk and
| consume lots of processor time for no apparent reason. I knew someone
| who ran pppd and his machine never saw a processor load below 1.0 as a
| result. The fact that the proxyarp flag doesn't work, and is common in
| both these situations makes me suspicious.
|
| The friend also despaired of pppd not hanging up cleanly, and hacked
| together a script which ping'ed the remote end every so often and
| killed the pppd if it didn't reply. A hack, but it work(ed).

Apparently you're right that it's the proxyarp option. I disabled it,
and the CPU load was gone. The pppd hangs up cleanly now as well. Only
problem is that there's no arp entries made on logging on, which
disables all outside-access for those hosts.

We've created a ip-up script which looked like this:

#!/bin/sh
#
# interface tty speed localip remoteip

arp -s $5 0:0:1c:6:1e:d2 pub

I guess you can imagine what this SHOULD do. As a matter a fact, it
doesn't do anything. We've checked if it's excecuted, and it does
excecute all right. There's no apparent cause why this shouldn't work,
but it doesn't work all the same.

Any clues ?  :-)

- Rob.

/*   Rob Simons                      |  rob@simplex.nl          *\
/*   Novell Netware System Operator  |  UNIX system operator    *\