Date:      Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:13:18 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Mike Loiterman <mloiterman@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make buildworld dies

Mike Loiterman wrote:

> I'm sure I'm doing something stupid here, but I simply can't figure
> out what.  I've searched all over google, yahoo, deja.com and the bsd
> archives, but I am baffled by this.

What did you cvsup from and what options are you using on the cvsup.
Also what version of cvsup are you using? To find out the version do
"cvsup -v". If you aren't using 16.11d or higher, that could be your
problem. You can get a fixed version at

http://people.freebsd.org/~jdp/s1g/

> I just cvsup'ed to 4.4-STABLE and I followed the handbook
> instructions exactly in terms of doing make buildworld, but I keep
> getting this error when I do the make buildworld...
>

> make: don't know how to make freebsd.mc. Stop
> *** Error code 2
>

> Stop in /usr/src/etc.
> *** Error code 1
>

> Stop in /usr/src
> *** Error code 1
>

> Stop in /usr/src
> *** Error code 1
>

> Stop in /usr/src
>

> I have logged the entire output of make buildworld if anyone needs to
> see it.  But the above is the error I get.  Thanks.

I do this routinely. It is much easier to figure out what happened.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA