Date:      Tue, 28 Oct 1997 16:01:09 -0500
From:      Robin Cutshaw <robin@intercore.com>
To:        Stephen McKay <syssgm@dtir.qld.gov.au>
Cc:        Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Perils of login.conf (Was: fsck (2.2.5-RELEASE) large filesystems broken)

On Sat, Oct 25, 1997 at 11:54:11AM +1000, Stephen McKay wrote:

> On Friday, 24th October 1997, Charles Henrich wrote:
>
> >On the subject of Re: fsck (2.2.5-RELEASE) large filesystems broken, Stephen McKay stated:
> >
> >> I'd guess that you are being bitten by /etc/login.conf.  The comments in it
> >> claim that 'daemon' is used by /etc/rc and 'daemon' has "datasize=32M".  Try
> >> bumping this to 64M.
> >
> >Yes, that was it.  I'd like to take an assault rifle to the fellow who decided
> >the defaults for FreeBSD is so limited, especially considering in most cases
> >FreeBSD is installed as a one or two use system.

After installing 2.2.5, I patched in the DPT driver so that the 9 GB
scsi drives could be accessed.  I found that the "daemon" section in
login.conf does nothing during /etc/rc.  I placed a ulimit -a just
before the fsck there and found that the "default" section was being
used.

robin
--
----
Robin Cutshaw         internet: robin@interlabs.com robin@intercore.com

    "Time is just one damn thing after another" -- PBS/Nova
----