Date:      Mon, 5 Dec 2016 10:00:33 -0500
From:      Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Cc:        Chris Ross <cross+freebsd@distal.com>
Subject:   Problems with FreeBSD (amd64 stable/11) router

 Hello all.  I recently replaced my router with a FreeBSD/11 box =
(stable/11 r308579).  I am running a lagg device across two bce=E2=80=99s,=
 and 802.1q vlan interfaces atop lagg0.  I=E2=80=99m using pf to =
NAT/filter out through a single outside IP address.

 I=E2=80=99m having the following problem.  Some devices appear to be =
having trouble passing traffic.  Of course, I first assumed I was doing =
something wrong with my pf filters, but I believe now that=E2=80=99s not =
the problem.  One client machine (a TiVo Roamio) that produces a failure =
reliably, so I=E2=80=99ve been using it for testing, is showing that =
during a TCP session, which starts up fine, in the middle of a POST =
operation to an outside server, there are 1500 byte packets.  These =
packets have the DF bit in the IP header, and then never show up on the =
external interface (vlan0).  Smaller packets in the same TCP stream do.  =
But, I=E2=80=99m also not seeing the ICMP from the router back to the =
client telling it that it cannot send the packet.

 I have tried all sorts of changes to my pf rules, including now =
allowing all ICMP unconditionally on all interfaces (pass out log quick =
inet proto icmp all).  I have packet traces during the failed =
communication across pflog0, vlan0 (external network) and vlan7 =
(internal network).  I=E2=80=99d be happy to answer any questions, or =
provide the traces off-list.

 Does anyone have any idea what I=E2=80=99ve missed?  Thank you very =
much for your help.

                                - Chris