Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2007 17:29:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Weaned BSD <weaned_on_bsd@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Recommendendations for a small form factor system

Hi,

I'm looking to buy or build a small form factor system with a microATX
motherboard. I develop software for a living and mostly write LAMP or
perl code around mysql databases. I need something I can lug around
that has good speed. I've many EIDE disk drives that have customer
projects on so I need SATA and EIDE support. This box has to run FreeBSD,
occasionally Red Hat and also windows. My budget is $500-$750. I'd
like a gig of ram expandable to at least 2 gig, a separate graphics card
(I'll rarely run X but occasionlly need to boot windows).  As much
cpu as I can afford. I'd thought only AMD was in reach but see now
that some of the Intel core 2 duos are under $200 (intels DG965OT mobo
with a  E6400 chip looks sweet). I need 100baseT NIC, onboard WiFi,
a DVD drive and a couple of USB ports. Sound is not important. A PCI
slot would be nice too.  If possible not anything that will overheat
when I really crank through a large database. I write GIS code and
often have databases with millions of points. I've looked at a lot
of boards but thought the members of this list would be better and
telling me what is fast and works out of the box with a current
FreeBSD release.

Thanks for any advice.

Never Miss an Email