Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 01:13:10 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jason Hunt <leth@primus.ca>
To:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Drew <drew@no6.com>
Subject:   Re: pccard0 problems

Drew emailed me and I don't know if it was meant to be private or if he
also meant to CC it to the list.  My appologies if it was supposed to be
private.

On Thu, 7 Mar 2002, Drew wrote:

> You'll have to humor me, I'm new to FreeBSD as of this week,
>
> how do i use OLDCARD (whatever that is) and the default routing PCI method?

I believe OLDCARD is default in the -RELEASE and -STABLE branches still.
I think a few weeks ago Warner changed -CURRENT to use NEWCARD by default.
OLDCARD is probably what you are using.

> should i add your lines to my kernel config? (that i do know how to do) ;)

They are in the GENERIC kernel, so if you have not recompiled the kernel,
they will be in there.  Fortunatly for me, my PCMCIA stuff has
almost always worked "out of the box".

Is this a laptop?  How many PCMCIA slots do you have?  Do you happen to
know for sure what chipset your controller is?  I opened my laptop when I
was having similar issues and found it was a PD6729.  Maybe if you have a
PD6730 they could have some minor differences that could cause this?  I am
just guessing.

I am basically reitterating what Kevin has said, but from your dmesg
output, you have five lines regarding pcic1.  These lines are giving it
all the same values that are in the GENERIC kernel.  If you were to really
need the pcic1 controller, you should only need the "en pcic1" line from
my understanding.

However, the kernel is not finding pcic1, only pcic0.  That seems normal
to me, because you probably only have one PCMCIA controller.  I would
suggest removing those five lines from /boot/kernel.conf and see what
happens.

Something that confused me at first, but is really quite simple is
the difference between the controllers and devices.  pcic0 and pcic1 are
different *controllers*.  Each pcic *controller* controls two pccard
*devices*, pccard0 and pccard1.  If you had a second *controller*, then
you would also have *devices* called pccard2 and pccard3.

Hope this is some help.