Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2006 20:04:58 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: tzs for aussies

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft

On Tue, 2006-Mar-28 11:29:02 +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>On Monday, 27 March 2006 at 18:47:14 +1100, Peter Jeremy wrote:
>> If you want silliness:
>> - The South Australian Act covering DST is different to the actual rules=
 and
>>   so has to be over-ridden by regulation every year.
>
>Do you have details?

I looked into this in 1999 following some discussions with a customer.
My (then) conclusion was:
 SA time is defined by two acts: "The Standard Time Act, 1898" and
 "Daylight Saving Act, 1971, No. 54 of 1971".  The latter was amended
 in 1972 and 1986.  This overall result of this legislation is that by
 default, SA summer time runs from the last Sunday in October until the
 _first_ Sunday in March (but at least the times are specified
 precisely).  This has been over-ridden annually by Regulation (eg
 Daylight Saving Regulations 1998, No. 162 of 1998) specifying actual
 dates and times.

References are:
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_act/dsa1971165/
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_act/dsa1971165/s2.html
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/dsr2005274/
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/sa/consol_reg/dsr2005274/s3.html

Logically, it would be more efficient to change one word in the Act
but I guess the extra regulations help keep unemployment down :-).
Our taxes at work (since SA gets part of the my GST).

>You forgot to mention Central Western Time, round Eucla.  UTC+08:45,

I wasn't aware of that.  It didn't come up when I was investigating
time issues in 1999.

--=20
Peter Jeremy

--/04w6evG8XlLl3ft