Date:      Fri, 07 Sep 2012 19:44:15 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnilan.de>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: intel 82579 nic support?

--------------enig3203A34FC8FA6B06186E10F4

 schrieb Jack Vogel am 07.09.2012 18:53 (localtime):
> OH, now things are clearer, this is a client part, and it is supported
> by the em driver,
> I don't know why loading igb would have any effect. If you load native
> FreeBSD 8.3 or
> 9.1 this device should work.
>
> The only case where you "pass through" a PCI device to a VM guest that
> I am familiar
> with is using Linux/KVM and SRIOV, meaning you give the guest a VF,
> this support is
> in the igb and ixgbe drivers.
>
> This device is in the chipset, so I was told that a) passing it thru
> is problematic because
> its not really a standalone NIC, and it is probably dependent on
> resources in the chipset
> that are not being given to the guest, b) there is no real gain with
> this hardware doing this,
> you can get performance using the normal virtual device connection.
>
> Bottom line, its possible this could be made to work, but I've not
> done it, and its not
> something I'm able to support.

Great to hear that 82579 is generally supported by em (4), which should
be updated by the way.
I'm doing the passthrough not for performance resons in this case, but
because ESXi5 doesn't iteslf support the 82579.
My idea was to make it usable anyway by passing it through to my FreeBSD
Guest. Since I've done the same many times for SAS controllers (for
performance reasons in that case) successfully with FreeBSD, my idea was
not too absurd ;-) But I think I can confirm that you are right and
passthrough with chipset-integrated devices is different (for ESXi),
since the 82579 passed through to a XP-guest doesn't work either!

Thanks,

-Harry