Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 1997 22:10:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Exabyte 8505 questions

I just bought a reconditioned Exabyte 8505 tape drive; and have been
having a few problems using it.  The problems are exacerbated by the
lack of an Owner's Manual.

The first, and hopefully simplest problem is determining which
density codes are actually valid for the drive; and what they
mean in terms of capacity and compatability.  The default appears
to be 0x8c.  According to the panel lights it is a compressed
mode; and I would assume the maximum density for the drive (5Gb
for a 112m tape.)  But there should also be uncompressed high
density, and both compressed and uncompressed low (2.5Gb) modes.

The second problem appears to be related to timeouts.  When
attempting to tar with large block sizes (56Kb), after a while
it reports:
	ncr0: timeout ccb=f174ec0 (skip)
	ncr0: timeout ccb=f174ee0 (skip)
	ncr0: timeout ccb=f174ea0 (skip)
then wedges the OS badly enough to require a hard reset.

The system is an ASUS PCI/I-486SP3G with a Cyrix 486/66DX2, using
the SCSI controller built into the main board; running FreeBSD 2.2
GAMMA.  (GENERIC kernel)

Is there any easy way for me to verify that this is a problem in
the drivers, not the drive itself or elsewhere in the SCSI hardware?
And are there any easy knobs to tweak to eliminate the occasional
timeout errors on long blocks?

Thanks,
-Pat