Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 10:52:52 PDT
From:      Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ntp syncronization

In message <Pine.BSF.3.95.961001075325.13561A-100000@harlie>you write:
>I'm trying to syncronize a subnet of machines using ntp.  I've got one
>FreeBSD machine that runs stable if we loose our internet connection, and
>I'd like to set it up so that its internal clock is considered a stratum
>13 clock source

You want to set it up as a server (see the section "PRIMARY CLOCK SUPPORT" in
the xntpd man page, and the "README.refclocks" file in
/usr/src/usr.sbin/xntpd/doc).  Something like

server 127.127.1.0
fudge 127.127.1.0 stratum 12

Don't use multicast mode (broadcast mode is okay) with this setup.  Dunno why,
but README.refclocks says "*NEVER NEVER*"...

  Bill