Date:      Wed, 3 Jul 1996 23:17:24 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Ollivier Robert <roberto@keltia.freenix.fr>
To:        alex@fa.tdktca.com
Cc:        dunn@harborcom.net, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: async flag to mount(8)

It seems that Alex Nash said:
> At the risk of experiencing Terry's wrath :), async is very useful,
> and under *some* scenarios (like rm -rf), very fast.  I think (almost)
> everyone agrees that it's risky, but for filesystems such as /tmp one
> really shouldn't care.

At the risk   of appearing  totally foolish,  I've  been mounting  /usr/src
(useful for cvs update), /usr/obj  (useful during  "make world") and  /news
(expire is happy!) and the CVS tree (useful for CTM) async  for more than a
year.

Had a few crashes, still have to lost anything.

Even  during the earlier time of  async support by  John,  I didn't got any
unsolvable problem with it.

/dev/sd0a on / (local)
/dev/sd0d on /usr (local)
/dev/sd0h on /usr/local (local)
/dev/sd12e on /var (local)
/dev/sd0f on /users (local)
/dev/sd12f on /news (asynchronous, local, nosuid)       Usenet (small part.)
/dev/sd0g on /src (asynchronous, local)                 /usr/src
/dev/sd12g on /spare (asynchronous, local)              CVS tree
/dev/sd0e on /work (asynchronous, local)                mostly build of prgs
/dev/sd11a on /x (local, nosuid)                        FTP server
/dev/sd12h on /y (asynchronous, local)                  /usr/obj
procfs on /proc (local)

Sound scary I know, but works perfectly well.

Result ?

4h50mn for "make world"  on 486DX4/100, 32  MB, 2x SCSI controllers (sd0 on
bt0 and sd11 and sd12 on ahb0).

Yeah, I enjoy risk :-)
--
Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 2.2-CURRENT #12: Sun Jun 30 14:10:07 MET DST 1996