Date:      Sun, 6 Jun 2004 16:25:27 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jed Clear <clear@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-perl@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Want to build but not install system perl - FBSD 4.x

--n8g4imXOkfNTN/H1

On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 09:45:43AM -0400, Jed Clear wrote:

> My question is can I tweak the make.conf on the K6 to build the system
> perl, but not use or installworld it?  Removing NOPERL seems like it
> would cause the build of system perl, but I'm not sure if it would also
> cause it to be installed.  Installing it on the K6 wouldn't be too bad,
> however I want to make sure port perl continues to be used on the K6.=20
> Is there a good explanation of the make.conf PERL variables as well as
> the interaction of system and port perl in FreeBSD somewhere?

I don't think that's actually impossible, but it would require quite a
lot of faffing about to get right -- you would have to end up with
separate trees under /usr/obj for the 486 and non-486 builds, and
you'ld have to have quite a complicated /etc/make.conf and probably
some sort of external variable setting to singnal if you were doing a
486 build.

Probably what you should do instead is set up a jail on your build
server machine and use that to do make worlds for your 486 box.  It
will be a lot simpler in the long run.  You should be able to use a
loopback NFS mount, or mount_null(8) so you only have one copy of
/usr/src that you need to keep cvsup'd to date.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way