Date:      Tue, 17 Jan 2012 16:41:23 -0600
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
To:        Hugo Silva <hugo@barafranca.com>
Cc:        Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD has serious problems with focus, longevity, and lifecycle

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 06:57:19PM +0000 I heard the voice of
Hugo Silva, and lo! it spake thus:

> Come to think about it, those days are pretty much gone since 4.x
> (incidentally, many of us who've stuck with FreeBSD for this long
> think of 4.x as an epic series).

Having been a FreeBSD user for a very long time, I don't think of 4.x
as epic.  I think of 5.x as a clusterf...un.  4.x didn't last such a
long time because everyone thought it was awesome, it was because the
next version was still so broken it was the only thing we had to
release.

And the reason it developed whatever excess "stability" it may have
had is _because_ it was moribund.  It's trivial to avoid introducing
new bugs to software; all you have to do is never change it.  The next
best thing is to make very small targetted changes with enormous care
to make them local.  But that means you DON'T get things like new
drivers and infrastructure and so on, because those are just the sort
of big changes that are likely to create new problems even as they
solve existing ones.  At some point aroudn X.4 or X.5 it stops being
-STABLE and starts just being -STALE.

For me, the smaller jumps between major releases are a *GOOD* thing,
because it makes it parsecs easier to move between them.  Moving a
system from 4 to 5 was a giant nightmare of everything breaking.  The
only thing I can remember worse was moving from 2.2 to 3 (and
actually, most of my 2.2 systems either stayed that way until they
died, or got moved via *HEROIC* efforts straight to 4).

In contrast, moving from 6->7->8 was only a slightly larger bump than
moving from 6.X to 6.Y.  I have a specific system that I'm holding
back moving from 8 to 9 now because of a specific change, and I'm
sorta hoping I can retire that system before I have to try it.  If we
went back to the days of mega-major's, that would happen *EVERY* time.

Now, there are some environments where upgrades are rare major events
and every single upgrade (possibly excluding those that can be
honestly described as "single targetted patch") requires a giant pile
of from-scratch requalification.  And in those cases, it's almost the
same amount of work whether you're going from 4.6->4.7 as if you were
doing 4.10->9.1.  From that perspective, sure, giant lengthenings may
sound like an excellent idea.  But from the position of considering
upgrades as common and minor things, giant leaps are a nightmare I
want to avoid at all costs.

> Maybe I'm horribly mistaken about the releasographics of production
> FreeBSD users, but I think most of us tend to run -release [...]

I doubt it would be easy to get stats.  But you could probably draw a
reasonable correlation between people using releases and binary
packages, vs. source and port builds.  That would probably be easier
to get numbers on.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd@over-yonder.net