Date:      Thu, 09 Jan 1997 07:57:49 -0800
From:      Ken Ingram <kingram@ipro.com>
To:        Wolfgang Helbig <wh@MX.BA-Stuttgart.De>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, FreeBSD-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Adding Hard Drives - Prepping

The problem is I can't get disklabel to recognize the drive.
I'm in a catch-22. I need to run newfs to format(?) the drive but
it won't do it because it doesn't have a disklabel.

Where do I begin? Disklabel gets me:

#disklabel -r -w wd2 auto
disklabel: /dev/rwd2c: Undefined error: 0

The sysinstall seems to prep the drive perfectly, however it only preps
the already installed system. I need to know the command-line operations
to appropriately configure the new drive.

Can you describe the steps I need to take and what commands I need to use?

At 10:00 AM 1/9/97 +0100, Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

>> newfs needs disklabel from what I can gather from the man pages.
>> Do I need to add any info to Disktab? The drive is the exact same model
>> as the first one, yet the first drive has no entry in /etc/disktab.
>
>Try the -auto flag of disklabel(). If that works you won't need an entry
>in /etc/disktab.
>
>Wolfgang Helbig

--Ken
Ken Ingram	kingram@ipro.com   |