Date:      Tue, 03 Sep 2002 07:48:07 -0500
From:      Eric Anderson <anderson@centtech.com>
To:        Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hawking Technologies switches

Ryan Thompson wrote:

> Anyone have any experience with Hawking Tech's 10/100 switches? They
> come in below other good low-price offerings by D-Link and Netgear,
> well below 3Com, and a fraction of Cisco, but appear to be full-
> featured. I've been charged with the task of outfitting a small new
> network room in a budget-sensitive fashion, so I'd need rack-mountable
> unmanaged RJ-45 Ethernet switches that can handle a handful of LAN
> servers, and connect 20-25 workstations.
>
> Recommendations? I've used D-Link, Netgear and 3C in similar
> scenarios, all with zero problems, but have yet to run with Hawking,
> mostly because I don't know a lot about them.

Hawking makes some "ok" hardware, although you typically get what you paya for.
  I am a Netgear fan for all my inexpensive network hardware needs, but I have
used Hawking stuff in the past, and haven't had too much of a problem.  The only
thing I can say is, I have had a few of their hubs go bad (just stop working),
but nothing major.  If price is a big issue, and you can't slap down the extra
couple of $$'s to get a Netgear (or other), then Hawking will do you just fine.
  There isn't all that much difference in these little boxes these days anyhow. :)

Eric