Date:      Sat, 25 Apr 2020 18:54:34 +0930
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
Cc:        Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>, freebsd-ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: BLENDER 2.79

On 19/4/20 10:12 pm, Adam Weinberger wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 10:45 PM Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz> wrote:

>> Also note that 2.79 uses python 3.5 which is EOL 9/2020 - ~5 months
>> https://devguide.python.org/#status-of-python-branches
>>
> Shane, if you are able to provide and support a 2.79 port, I'd be
> thrilled to see it in the tree.
>>
>>> back unsupported and unmaintained older versions of software isn't a
>>> path we go down very often. If Blender were a trivial build, it'd be
>>> more feasible, but the complexity of the maintenance burden is
>>> difficult to overcome.
>>
>> I personally maintain several blender versions, mostly to allow testing.
>> Usually there is little effort, I stop updating older versions as
>> dependent ports get dropped and patching gets too much, now at 2.77+.
>> I make these publicly available on github not as official ports.
>>
>> The main concern with having a second blender port for 2.79 is the
>> python35 EOL in five months.
>
> Is py35 a hard dep for 2.79 or can that be adjusted to 3.5+?

Each blender version is only tested with and officially only supports
one python version. There are no conditionals to build with what's
available.

I have updated my redports copy of blender279 to use python 3.6. The
change is only making it find the new version, this builds and passes
limited testing. I will rely on you testing it to suit your needs to see
if I need to make any other patches for py36.

The question now is whether we want to submit blender279/oiio18 as
official ports for some time or whether you keep it as a private port.

-- Tomasz,
Have you looked at devel/godot-tools?
The GDScript it uses internally is very similar to python, so is a quick
learning curve. There is also a visual node-based scripting. While there
is C# support, I don't have that working in FreeBSD yet, the mono port
update in bugs.freebsd comes close.

It is common for godot developers to use blender for 3d assets.

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler