Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 1996 09:54:30 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        joaquim@vega.cnpq.br (Joaquim Humberto Marques Mota)
Subject:   Re: Adaptec 1540CF/1542CF and MO Disk Sony

(Moved to freebsd-scsi)

As Joaquim Humberto Marques Mota wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm trying to install a SCSI disk in my FreeBSD. It's a SONY
> Magneto-Optical Disk Drive SMO-F521. I'm using a ADAPTEC 1540CF/1542CF at
> IRQ 11, DMA 5, Host ID 7, Port 330h.

Hey, is this about the same as my

"SONY SMO-C501-09   KG 2.13" type 0 removable SCSI 1?

I.e., a Really Old ESDI MOD drive, 2x280 MB, with an ESDI-to-SCSI
bridge?

> (aha0:2:0): "SONY SMO-F521-00 2.03" type 0 removable SCSI 1
> sd0(aha0:2:0): Direct-Access 311MB (637041 512 byte sectors)
>
> I'm using a 1304 MB double side rewritable Magneto Optical Disk with 1024
> byte/sector.

Hmm, but the above information does rather look suspicious.  It seems
the driver got it wrong, it identified you medium as being a 600 MB
one.  Since this information comes from the drive, i would basically
trust it.  Are you sure your drive can handle 1.3GB media?  (Mine
cannot.)

The drive is a good candidate for the `od' driver, btw.

Our kernel cannot handle media with 1024 bytes per physical sector
yet, in particular ufs falls over.  I've got patches sitting in my
queue for too long, from the author of the `od' driver, to fix this,
but i haven't had the time to review them.  If you promise to send me
a failure or success report, i could send them to you.  Be warned
however: it will be some work, and you will have to run a -current
kernel in order to experiment this (most likely, that is).

--
cheers, J"org