Date:      Sat, 30 Sep 2017 09:56:26 +0100
From:      Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
To:        "Steve O'Hara-Smith" <steve@sohara.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: list of built-in tools

On 30/09/2017 06:48, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 22:17:27 +0200
> Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 29 Sep 2017 16:12:18 -0400, Ernie Luzar wrote:
>>> Looking for a list or index of all the basic system utilities.
>>>
>>> Like uniq, rev, tr and so on.
>>>
>>> Are they documented someplace?
>>
>> Implicitely documented - "ls /usr/bin". ;-)
>
> 	Better ls /usr/share/man/man1
>
>> On the web, there are several blog pages or texts on Github
>> which explain how to use this kind of tools, but FreeBSD does
>> not (as far as I'm aware of) contain a kind of list that covers
>> text processing tools provided by the OS.
>
> 	This is one of the longest standing weaknesses of unix
> documentation, there are no entry points. Somebody should make a simple
> index page of all the commands with a one liner description and a man page
> - bonus for splitting them by category.

If my failing memory isn't lying to me, back in ancient times when Unix
was on version 6, "man intro" did something like that. Of course, there
were far less commands then, and the line printer listing of
kernel+world was only about an inch thick.

> 	Now where did I put those tuits.

It's always difficult to find one's tuits, and only gets worse as you
get older.

--
An amusing coincidence: log2(58) = 5.858 (to 0.0003% accuracy).