Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 21:58:12 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "Tony.Shoumack@rpmsolutions.com.au" <Tony.Shoumack@rpmsolutions.com.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-current@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Idiots guide to PCMCIA

> Hi there,
>
> Not sure which forum to post this .. here goes.
>
> As a newbie to FreeBSD (and loving it) I am keen to
> get stuck into perpherial support and am wondering
> if there is much on PCMCIA - as I see the handbook
> notes "write documentation" as todo for this area.
>
> I think I really need more of an "Idiots Guide to PCMCIA"

The simple, and unhelpful, answer is that PCMCIA is too complicated for
idiots.

The handbook section on PCCARD stuff is still empty because anybody that
knows anything about our support is either too busy or too embarrassed
to write anything about it.

If you want to write documentation about peripheral support, that's one
thing, and a very worthwhile exercise it is too.  In that case, there's
lots of stuff to do, and you ought to ask more questions to work out
where your efforts might best be spent.

If you want to work on writing support *code*, then you should talk to
Garrett Wollman (wollman@freebsd.org), who is currently undertaking the
not insubstantial task of renovating our ISA support.  I'm sure that he
has quite a lot of work that he could do with some help with, and if
you feel you're able to pick stuff up quickly, there's plenty to do
there.