Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 10:19:51 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org, FreeBSD-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some help needed for booting ia64 under SKI/NUE

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 06:00:50PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Aarrgghh. The new GCC emits object files with OSABI set to FreeBSD (=9).
> Linux ski only knows about SysV (=0) and HP-UX (=1). Linux uses SysV and
> we used that too before the new GCC.

No.  GCC (ours or stock) has never set the OSABI -- it cannot at that
level.  Our native GNU Binutils `ld' is what sets the OSABI to
FreeBSD(=9).  It has done that for many years.  The differences is IA-64
is now using the system `ld' vs. one cross built from stock FSF sources.

> I'll see if we can create object files with OSABI equal to SysV...

You would have to change `ld' and that might mess up the native IA-64
users.  I would simply prepair a list of files names that Ski is upset
about and `brandelf' them to SysV.