Date:      Sat, 26 Jan 2002 12:47:23 -0600
From:      jacks@sage-american.com
To:        "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Silly question. How to install ports.

This doesn't *seem* to always work to get the expected version of a program
though. One example is Samba. While the port info file indicated that a new
version of Samba would be installed, it went to fetch from a number of
sources, but was not found for one reason or another until it came to one
aource and found a copy in "old_versions".... while the Samba version works
okay, it is NOT the current one.... this happened twice.

I prefer using ports but don't understand how to make it get the latest
version under such circumstances.

At 11:37 AM 1.26.2002 -0700, Charles Burns wrote:

>>I am having trouble installing ports.  I am trying to update apache
>>to 1.3.22. I downloaded the tarball and did a pkg_add
>>apacheblabla.tar.  it made a new group called www and quit.
>>
>>Is this how one usually installs ports?  How do you install a port in
>>the ports directory or if its not in a tarball?  I know this info is
>>online somewhere but I cannot seem to find it right now.
>
>pkg_add is different from ports, but still works well. I prefer ports
>because FreeBSD will compile the app using custom compiler options set in
>make.conf. To install a port:
>Go to the directory of the port, like /usr/ports/www/apache and type "make
>install clean"
>You can find a port by visiting /usr/ports and typing "make search key=blah"
>where blah is your keyword.
>This is all covered in detail in the handbook which you can find at
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
>
>Charles Burns

Best regards,
Jack L. Stone,
Server Admin

Sage-American
http://www.sage-american.com
jacks@sage-american.com

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat;
....situation excellent! ....I shall attack!"