Date:      Sun, 21 Jul 2002 17:28:37 -0400
From:      "Brian T. Schellenberger" <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Brian Handy <handy@physics.montana.edu>
Subject:   stable: xosview fails - permission denied

I can no longer run xosview as an ordinary user.  This is with Friday's stable
image, but I haven't upgraded before this in many months so I have no idea
how recent it is.

The message I get is:

   % xosview
   xosview: OpenKDIfNeeded():kvm-open(): Permission denied

I can run it just fine as root.

I tried doing a ktrace/kdump, and it shows this:

 29763 xosview	NAMI  "/dev/mem"
 29763 xosview	RET   open -1 errno 13 Permission denied
 29763 xosview	CALL  write(0x2,0xbfbfdd48,0x9)
 29763 xosview	GIO   fd 2 wrote 9 bytes
       "xosview: "
 29763 xosview	RET   write 9
 29763 xosview	CALL  write(0x2,0xbfbfdd78,0x1b)
 29763 xosview	GIO   fd 2 wrote 27 bytes
       "OpenKDIfNeeded():kvm-open()"
 29763 xosview	RET   write 27/0x1b

So the fix (or at least the workaround) seemed obvious, but it doesn't work:

I did a "chmod 777 /dev/mem" but it still fails in the same way.
I even tried chown'ing it to my "regular" userid, but it still fails.

(Of course I put it back the way I found it after my experiments.)

Any ideas?

                                        http://www.babbleon.org

http://www.eff.org                      http://www.programming-freedom.org