Date:      Thu, 6 Nov 2003 11:41:00 -0700
From:      "Preston Crawford" <me@prestoncrawford.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Re: Setting up X on FreeBSD?

----- Original Message -----
From: Johnson David
Sent: 11/6/2003 11:19:02 AM
To: me@prestoncrawford=2Ecom;freebsd-newbies@freebsd=2Eorg
Subject: Re: Setting up X on FreeBSD?

> On Thursday 06 November 2003 09:41 am, me@prestoncrawford=2Ecom wrote:
>=20
> > I'm not looking for help, so much as I'm looking for positive
> > affirmations that this can be done relatively easily once I get my
> > hands on a book or really start digging into the handbook=2E
>=20
> I affirm that this can be done relatively easy=2E The trick is knowing=20
> what video hardware you have, and if an older monitor, the refresh=20
> rates=2E Make sure you can start X before you turn on GDM or KDM=2E
>=20
> The Handbook talks about this=2E My preferred method is to use xf86config,=
=20
> but you need to know about your hardware=2E An alternate method talked=20
> about in the Handbook is to use "XFree86 -configure", but you need to=20
> hand "tune" the configuration afterwards to get what you want=2E

Acually, since I currently have SuSE running, I copied SuSE's XF86Config file onto a floppy and used it to get my settings right in FreeBSD=2E Basically pulling out the parts I new would help the FreeBSD X config file be more accurate=2E So I have a good, working config file off which to base my FreeBSD file=
=2E

When I did this (made my own config file) "startx" fired up without problems, except for a mouse that bounced directly to the upper right corner and stayed there for some reason=2E And then, when I fired up gdm I got an error that said "gdm is already running"=2E Weird=2E When I fired up KDM it came up right=2E But then it got stuck after I logged in=
=2E

So that's why I asked how easy it was=2E Seemingly I got X configured close, but it's still not working quite right=2E I forgot about XFree86 -configure=2E Maybe I'll try that tonight and once again apply changes from the SuSE file into the FreeBSD file=2E Maybe there's stuff specific to FreeBSD that wasn't covered when I ran configuration via /stand/sysinstall's various X configurators=
=2E

Preston