Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:44:19 +0000
From:      Earl Bryner <brynere@jcave.com>
To:        Questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp in auto mode.

I am currently attempting to implement a auto dail up ppp link using
FreeBSD 2.1.6

I have scoured the FAQ for any information on this topic, and have not
been able to resolve the problem, which is:

If I enter the command 'ppp -auto tag_name' after a reboot, and then
attempt to 'ping' the ip address associated with the tun0 device, I get
a 'Host is down' response.

If however, I manually connect with ppp and then disconnect, and then
start ppp in auto mode, the ping correctly forces the auto dial.

I have examined the routing tables before the manual connection, and
after the manual connection, and they appear to be identical.  I am not
using the pseudo-device ppp, but rather tunnel support.

If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.