Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 13:13:38 -0500
From:      Doug Lee <dgl@visi.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCM or PCM and SBC for AWE64 sound card?

[I sent this to freebsd-questions on 10/25/01 but heard nothing back.
This problem predates the current issues with sound drivers I think.
I'm hoping that submitting this here might help me find a solution, or
become part of one. :-) ]

Do I need to enable PCM and SBC or just PCM in my FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE
(soon to be 4.4) kernel to support an AWE64 sound card?  I've been
using a kernel with both PCM and SBC enabled for a while, but I'm
having problems recording (I'm told I can only record 8-bit samples by
the apps I try with, but they then go ahead and record 16-bit samples
and then tell me they're 8-bit samples, and unusable files result;
sfmike from Speak Freely sends out garbage).  Both devices are
recognized at boot time:

sbc0: <Creative SB AWE64> at port 0x220-0x22f,0x330-0x331,0x388-0x38b irq 5 drq 1,5 on isa0
pcm0: <SB16 DSP 4.16> on sbc0

but I'm wondering if just PCM would be enough.  What would I lose (or
gain) by removing SBC support from my kernel?

Please CC me directly.  Thanks much.

--
Doug Lee           dgl@visi.com        http://www.visi.com/~dgl
Bartimaeus Group   doug@bartsite.com   http://www.bartsite.com