Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2012 19:20:24 +0200
From:      "Bartek W. aka Mastier" <mistrzipan@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fighting DDOS attacks with pf

W dniu 20.08.2012 18:27, Jason Hellenthal pisze:
> All of the methods listed in more recent messages are just fine of
> methods to *somewhat* handle the DDoS on the hosts being attacked.
>
> - *But* -
>
> The only way you are going to take care of this is going to you're
> provider at the next level and asking them for assistance. Most of the
> addresses you will be seeing are probably spoofed or part of some
> amplification attack at which you will end up blocking out legitimate
> customers anyhow.
>
> So level up and go to your're Tier 2, Tier 1's.

Beside, I advise you check thoroughly from where the attacks are
actually coming from. In our case a lot of ACK and SYN attack with IP
addresses looking like PA or PI addresses outside our network eventually
appeared to be our customers having those public addresses spoofed on
their machines causing global chaos. I am not sure which malware was
causing such behaviour, but make your research in that direction. Check
if those massive SYN are actually coming from WAN. Use tcpdump or
trafshow to review if this public address are really in WAN.