Date:      Wed, 19 Apr 2000 15:59:51 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   using mysql over ssh

I want to access a mysql database remotely.  I've had success with the
following approach:

 ssh user@mydomain.org /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql -uuserid
           -ppassword dbname < mysql.sql

where mysql.sql contains the SQL statements I wish to run.

I have two issues with this approach:

1 - The mysql password is supplied on the command line.  I don't like
that.  How can I avoid that?

2 - To achieve the ssh login, I copied the contents of ~/.ssh/identity.pub
to ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote box.  How much of a risk is it
allowing logins like that?  My feeling is that if I trust the security on
the local box, it's not an issue.  Comments?

Any other suggestions/recommendations will be appreciated.

cheers